Here are Brian’s success indicators for Open Source projects, from his
Apache: When the Code Just isn’t Enough ApacheCon session.
A Successful Open Source project:
- Has a healthy community
- Makes decisions by consensus
- Can survive people being hit by a (rarely real, but often virtual) bus
- Can survive poisonous people
- Doesn’t let perfect, be the enemy of good
- Has a mission statement
- Documents both software and processes
There’s much more to his presentation, but this list is the best part for me.